At this time of year, the crisp weather and shorter days trigger cues to eat heartier meals.
Whether you’re in the mood for a creamy mac’n cheese or a bowl of homemade soup, these healthier versions are guaranteed to satisfy.
Bonus: Most of these recipes freeze well so cook up a double batch and pop half in the freezer. Then just defrost, heat and serve.
When you want to warm up
Find comfort, warmth and flavour in every spoonful of these hearty soups and stews.
- Big batch beef and root veggie stew
- Homemade turkey and rice soup
- Satisfying red lentil and mushroom soup
- Creamy tomato rice soup
- Deep dark and stout chili
- Classic potato and leek soup
Chef’s tip: Soups are a great way to use up ingredients in your fridge and pantry and you don’t even need a recipe. Just combine broth or stock (choose low-sodium options), vegetables, a lean protein source (meat, fish, poultry, legumes), some whole grains, herbs and seasonings, simmer and soup’s on!
When you want something quick but filling
Casseroles and one-pot meals are convenient choices for busy weeknight dinners.
- Lemon and fennel salmon casserole
- Simple, slow-cooked lasagna
- Curry seafood casserole
- Sweet potato chicken skillet dinner
- Quick quinoa and veggie casserole
Chef’s tip: Balance the meal with quick and simple foods like a salad, cut-up vegetables, whole-grain breads and milk.
When you want to indulge
Cozy up with healthier versions of these comfort food classics.
- Homemade macaroni and cheese
- Shepherd’s pie with garlic mash
- Mushroom beef tacos
- Faster-than-takeout chicken and veggie chow mein
- Grilled cheese sandwich with leek confit